...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Gary Soccer Boy


So I got into this $10 pool for the 2006 World Cup, which I'd deferred my picks to good pal & long time soccer chap, Jim Joll. My only other experience with soccer (or "footie" as I've now heard it called...great term, kudos Ned), was watching the 2002 WC Final, with a few friends at 5:00am one lovely Sunday morning in Chicago. I think it helped matters that we'd gotten shatty and stayed up all night for this festiv occation (it couldn't hurt, right?).

Anyway, it never hurts to have a financial interest on a sporting event to spark some interest. So with pool in hand, I'd decided to give the 2006 World Cup my full attention. Keep in mind that previously I'd been one of those adimant "soccer sucks" type of people.

So I made it through the entire WC, and now I'm soccer crazed. Watched the U.S. take on Italy at a jam packed small bar, appropriately named Small Bar (try the cheese curds!), in Wicker Park at 8:30am one Thursday morning. Found myself at another bar in Pittsburgh watching my Italians beat France in the final game, fist pumping after every Italian PK goal in the shootout.

The passion & heart of soccer fans is incredibly infectious. The athleticism of the players is world class. As a matter of fact, if someone were to tell me these are the greatest athletes in the world, I'd have a difficult time arguing against it. The combination of endurance and skill is unparallel. And there's something refreshing about the goal celebrations. As a good friend of mine said:

"American football is more like 'F*ck You!', while soccer is more like 'F*ck Yeah!'"

I like it.

Speaking of that beautiful day in Chicago, we tried to wake up Pete to enjoy the action and atmosphere at Small Bar, but I don't think he was up for it:



Oh...as far that pool goes. I think I finished at the bottom. Although they weren't my picks.

BTW...Whoever got a kick out of the Zidane head butt of Marco Materazzi in the Championship game (I know this guy did), try the "Zidane Head Butt Game" below courtesy of http://www.addictinggames.com/. It's fun for the whole family here at Empties Crushed. Use your mouse to move Zidane around the field, and headbutt the Materazzi's by left clicking. Beat my high score of 2060 and win a special prize.

No comments: