...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Canadians are Coming!


Got to see Broken Social Scene last night at a jam-packed Mr. Small's (where else, ey?). BTW...the blog title above is not just a reference to this Toronto based indie band, but also a loving shout-out to all of our Canadian pals we miss hanging with.

I didn't really get into BSS's last self-titled album that much from 2005, but I absolutely loved 2002's "You Forgot It In People," pretty much one of my favorite records of that year. I did hear some nice little ditties in the set that didn't pass the familiarity test, so I really need to give that 2005 album a little more attention.

Personally speaking, sometimes it takes a good live performace of a band's more recent stuff to kickstart my interests. Typically, I don't warm up to the whole "this is the first song on our new album" thingy that quick. But that's just a flaw in my armor. So I'll definitely give their more recent stuff some more spins...at least a couple more times.

If you'd like to see BSS live with its full montage of musicians (I think I counted 11 on stage at various times at Mr. Small's), I'd do so sooner rather than later. From the sounds of frontman, Kevin Drew (not the scruffy dude above...that's bass player Brendan Canning), it doesn't look like they will be taking the full crew on tour with them in the future. I'm no tour manager, but I can imagine it might be hard to coordinate a dozen schedules of band members who only play part time with the band. Not to mention all of the misc. little side projects of the band members like Apostles of Hustle, Metric, Stars, and Do Make Say Think (who actually opened for BSS).

So in the future, you may be getting a smaller, more condensed Broken Social Scene. We will see.

Anyway...good times were had. A lot friendly Canadian folk in the crowd. Miller Lites were consumed. And it appears they were well received in Pittsburgh, so hopefully they'll come back, even if it is a Cliff Notes version of the full band. Local reviews:

Here's some sampling. This one always makes me wanna pick up my air bass. From the aforementioned You Forgot It In People:
(left click to play, right click to download):
Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time

And here's some live video action of "7/4 (Shoreline)", featuring part time vocalist Emily Haines. It didn't come out all that great b/c of the whole darkness thing at Mr. Smalls, and it appears to be a bit outta sink with the audio, but here ya go anyway:



Probably a better visual representation of the same song, courtesy of Arts & Crafts Record Label:

No comments: