...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Inspiration for 'Empties Crushed'

The Inspiration for Empties Crushed
Yes. The inspiration for 'Empties Crushed' (the blog, that is) came partly from this masked gentleman, who shall remain nameless. The line "empties crushed," of course, is from none other than lyrical genious Robert Pollard, the greatest songerwriter from the greatest band ever. Or at least Jess & I think so.

note: the links in the right sidebar are your friends in this instance

Some may know this crazy character as "The Face" for his poker prowess. Others familiar with fantasy baseball may know him as "Carlos Lee for Cash." I'm not sure who he thinks he's kidding, but what kinda bullsh*t "STAFF" is he part of?!?!?

Anyways...after moving from Chicago in 2001, I'd since developed the habit of e-mailing old friends with quirky little thoughts, top 10 lists, and other sorts of nonsensical time wasting crap. After all, I've got a plethora of amazing thoughts to share. After sending a group e-mail about some stupid Top Blah Blah of 2006 list, I received a response from the Face that went something like this:

"Hey Gary, you turd box. Why don't you just start a blog you big dork."

That was all the motivation I needed. Find some crafty in my own mind blog title. Blog started. Infinite wisdom & knowledge is shared.

Guided by Voices fan or not, here's a little treatie for all the kids. I'd originally found the following live MP3 on Soulseek a few years back. I had it sitting on my hd for a couple years before I actually realized where/when it was from. Later, I'd come to stupidly realize, "hey...I was at that show." It was September of 2002. A small little intimate gathering of...I don't know...say 400 (I'm terrible at estimating attendance) at the old Grog Shop in Cleveland was privy to the 2.5 hour, 48 song set. Song #2 of the set was "Subspace Biographies," which contains the lyric "empties crushed" referred to as the title of this fantastic blog (as well as the line "there is nothing worse than an undetermined person"). I was standing about 2 deep, Doug-side. If you listen closely, I think you can hear me singing ;)

Play loud, and give yourself some room for leg kicks. Altogether now:

Bah Bah Bah, Bah Bah Bah, Bah Bah Bah Bah Dah:
(left click to play, right click to download):
GBV - Subspace Biographies - Live at the Grog Shop, 2002

No comments: