...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Crazy Golf Ball Whacker Guy


So Jess and I got to check out a practice round at the U.S. Open last week. Must admit, I'm not the biggest golf guy. Who's kidding who...I actually find it somewhat boring. To me, the greatest contributions that golf has brought us has been Shooter McGavin and Judge Schmales.

Anyway...it ended up being good times. Was a beautiful, sunny day, and a relatively less-crowded gallery. Being a "practice round," we were allowed to bring a camera. So we had that going for us, which was nice. Not quite sure I get the whole "lets cut down all the trees for aesthetic purposes" thingy.

OH...and we got to take a picture with the trophy, compliments of the Lexus tent. We didn't get to see Tiger, but since he appears to be a pompous ass, I didn't really care. We did see Sergio Garcia, Lee Janzen, Jose Maria Olazabul (pronounced "o-la-THAW-bul" as I came to find out), Justin Leonard, Vijay Singh, and a slew of others I could not recognize.

Click here for some more pics:

US Open at Oakmont

*************************************************************

TORONTO FC!!! Hell Yeah!! 4-Nil over Dallas on Sunday. I know we're still in only 6th place, but dare I say Playoffs? 4-6-1 after an 0-4 start? I'm crazy enough to say we can win this thing.

This Saturday...huge Eastern match-up at New England, 7:30.

Oh...and Coach Mo Johnston has just started a blog on the official TFC site.Cool.


This is kick ass. My boy Dichio scores as the crazies in the stands chant his name. I believe this is somewhat close to where I'll be sitting. Ned?

**************************************************************

Congrats to Roberto Carlos, Becks, and Real Madrid for another come back win Sunday, and winning La Liga. And thanks for an incredibly exciting season. Ray Hudson again was priceless on the GolTV broadcast. I'll try to find the exact quote and come back later.

*************************************************************

Gold Cup Semi's tonight kids - U.S.A. vs. Canada - 7:30 Fox Soccer Channel. Can I be a U.S.A. fan even with Landon Donovan on the squad? He's perhaps, just perhaps, the ONLY futbol player I've found that I truly dislike. What's with that dumb ass routine before a PK?

Yes...I live in the good ole U.S. and A., but does that mean my allegiance to a National Futbol team must be with the U.S. as well? Is it sacrilegious or whatnot to say my National team is Italy. Who cares?

VIVA ITALIA!!! (#1 team in the world right now, btw)

But I'll still root for the U.S. tonight, just so I can talk smack with my Canadian pals :)

**********************************************************

Did anyone notice that Sammy Sosa did NOT need a translator when talking to the media last night after hitting his 600th HR?

What a douche bag.

**********************************************************

And finally, and most importantly...

I know I try to keep it somewhat light-hearted around here...but for those out there who've met Stiffler before, please keep him in your thoughts today...

The little guy went to the vet this morning for surgery to remove a tumor that was on his side. We were told it appears non-cancerous, but we're still getting it removed to be on the safe side. Mom and dad are a nervous wreck right now.


No comments: