...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pirates Fans vs. Nuttings

If you haven't heard the news, a savvy group of diehard Buco fans is organizing a protest against Pittsburgh Pirate ownership this Saturday. It sounds similar to the "Free the Birds" protest waged in Baltimore last season (you remember, the one I proudly took part in :). In the 3rd inning, the plan is for participants to rise from their seats, and leave the park in unison.

I believe they plan on wearing green shirts, which is to signify the $$ that fans contribute to the running joke that is Pittsburgh Pirate baseball. I'm not sure if it was part of the grand plan, but the green shirts should also help them stand out from the thousands of people who never sit in their seat long enough to watch any of the game, anyway.

I sincerely applaud this effort. If I hadn't already handed in my Pirates Fan Card a long time ago, I'd join them hand-in-hand Saturday night, and make my way to the turnstiles in the 3rd inning (I mean, it's only the Nationals and I'd already have my Bobblehead in hand ;). I'd chant the chant, and plead with others to see the light and join our cause.

But since I'm no longer a fan...I don't care. And my fear is, for this ambitious group of up-risers, that the majority of fans don't care, either. Which is where the Nuttings have you by the noots.

I grew up one of these diehards. I attended the '79 World Series with my dad, and swung my pennant with pride. I collected thousands of baseball cards as a kid, and always overvalued by beloved Bucos (I think I refused a Dale Murphy rookie for a 1980 Enrique Romo once...yeah, that was stupid). I remained a true Pirates fan during my 17 year stay in Chicago, and I actually claimed Barry Bonds as my favorite player once upon a time (yeah, also stupid).

But after 14 years of futility, and more importantly, absolutely zero end in sight, I have had enough. Yes...it's hard to cut ties after 30+ years of fandom. But sometimes you need to cut your losses. Call those 14 years of misery...a sunk cost. I've got over 1/2 my life to live, and I'm not going to sit around and bask in misery for the fun of it (i.e. Cubs fans). It took the Red Sox close to a century to win...AND THEY'VE GOT MONEY TO SPEND!!! I've got plenty of other interests that are far less boring than sitting around and following a losing baseball team the rest of my life.

Oh...the money. That brings us to the Nuttings.

I understand the complaint. But as a non-fan, and a businessman, I'm not sure all the blame can be placed on ownership. Profit maximization is a theory that Mr. Nutting obviously did not sleep on in class. Why would any smart business owner invest more capital than necessary? I know what you're saying: "they owe it to the fans."

But it's these fans who are in the minority. Next time you go to a Pirates game, take a long look around you. Besides the guy behind you, who "boos" senselessly at every sacrifice bunt or intentional walk (you know, the chubby moron guy who doesn't know when to boo), the majority of people don't care. Last week when Mr. Thome and the Sox were in town, we were fortunate to get some decent seats (thanks, Jim!!) right along the aisle. And this was my view the entire game (these particular pics were taken during a 1/2 inning!!!):









What I'm saying is...at some point, much of the blame has to be placed on the fans (the bad ones, that is). I'm sorry to say it, but we may have to just face the facts: Pittsburgh is a bad baseball town. I know there's a slew of you out there who LOVE your baseball, and LOVE your Bucos...so I mean no offense to yens. If the majority were more like you, perhaps the Nuttings would feel the burn in the pocket book more. And I know 15 seasons of suckage has something to do with that.

But a night at PNC Park is no longer about baseball. It's a night out with the family. It's Kennywood without the rides. It's a summer night out with pals and beers (which is the category I now fall into). The Nuttings have witnessed this culture evolve, and molded the perfect business model. They have taken "baseball" completely out of the equation...AND PEOPLE STILL GO!!! From an outsider's perspective who doesn't care about the Pirates, the Nuttings may even deserve an applause from a business perspective.

Why sign multi million dollar players, when you can get the same effect (attendance wise), with:

- Bobbleheads
- Fireworks
- Pierogi Races
- Cotton Candy
- Family Friendly Jumbo Tron Stuff (i.e. players doing funny paintings, and Etch-a-Sketch's)
- Loud Dorky Guy in stands doing "Let's Play Bucco!"
- A 2nd mascot, called the "Jolly Roger", to mask any misery from losing
- "We Will" promises, to capitalize on blue collar Pittsburgh-er work ethic culture

(actually, I would bet there's a list like this in the front office, sans "loud dorky guy")

Evidence of this culture permeates throughout PNC. Ushers are not allowed to prevent fans from going to their seats in the middle of play, and 95% of the fans don't know any better. Try leaving or entering your seat at Fenway or Yankees Stadium. If you even manage to get by the usher, you and your family will be shamed to no end by the surrounding fans. Try doing it at a Penguins game.

I'm not sure what can be done to change this culture, but until it does, I'm afraid the Nuttings and the Suckos will be here to stay. For those fans protesting this weekend, I sincerely applaud the efforts. I only wish there were more fans like you in this town. If you were the majority, perhaps ownership would be forced to deal with your wrath. And maybe I'd still be aboard.

For those out there who remain on ship...please join these fine people (and real baseball fans). For more information, go here:

Iratefans.com

Also appears there's a tone of information out there about this protest, and if you do a Google, you'll see it's garnering a bunch of attention.

HOLY CRAP...actually, while writing this, I've discovered that I know one of the organizers...a swell young chap from Duquesne (you go Sean!!!). If I know Sean, and I think I can tell from working with him this past Spring semester, this won't be a half-assed operation.

As said, unlike some of the nay-sayers (i.e. Mark Madden), I applaud the efforts. The only difference is, I would maybe direct a portion of my outrage towards some of the picnic-going population of PNC. Maybe instead of leaving, you stand up from your seat, and turn away from the field. Perhaps this would perturb some of those non-baseball fans sitting around you. And if the usher asks you to sit, peacefully leave your seat and just walk up and down the aisles the whole inning.

So if you're mad as hell, and can't take it anymore...Join the protest! And if anyone out there attends, Empties Crushed would love some pictures. Even though I'm no longer a fan...the EC is down with the cause.

DOWN WITH THE NUTTINGS!!!

DOWN WITH THE PICNIC GOERS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

probably my favorite post on empties to date..

well played sir.