...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Boston Spaceships - Grog Shop

P1010387
I know. About time. These weekend jaunts around the great Midwest are as exhausting as they are good times. Slowly catching up here, hope to upload Ann Arbor, Dayton, Chicago stuff soon. But first, a final date in Nashville awaits this weekend. To the PATH!!!

Not a ton of great shots from this particular show, as we started at the back of the pack, and the stage was sorta low. Eventually made it to the front, by which time, we had consumed a couple of Miller Lites.

P1010333

(Advanced warning on all these vids: the sound is not that great from my camera. Just trying to capture the spirit of the whole thing, Reg.)

"Dorothy's a Planet", beautifully shot by Tirpak, whom as much as I'd like to say I've influenced towards the Bob / GBV thing, I'm fairly certain he wasn't familiar with this Suitcase tune. How he knew to shoot this (I believe I'm still further back at this point), I have no idea...but very nicely played.

YOU SUPPLY MY MIND WITH POLLUTION!!!!!!



I cheated, saw the Southgate set list from the previous night, so I admit I wasn't surprised...but excited to hear, nonetheless "Sensational Gravity Boy" (a couple seconds late on the trigger, sorry), which I had never heard live. Confirmation from gbvdb.com shows that it was never played prior to this tour?? True?? Anyways...



Followed by "Crutch Came Slinking"!! Slushy and Narducy rawkin the Nate side...



Brown Submarine ROCKS live, and has been on even heavier rotation since seeing BS play. Probably the best Bob backed band since the GBV days, imho. Bob appears to be having a blast, and we love the inclusion of Jason and Tommy for the live sets. Since it wasn't played the previous night in KY, I was afraid this would be my first ever Bob show where "Game of Pricks" was not played. It wasn't. We got Pricks, as well as a kick ass Cheap Trick cover of "Hello There" (which oddly and coincidentally enough, is the new opening theme song for the Crow and Paulsen radio show on ESPN Pittsburgh).

Glorious times. A ton of great friends on hand. Yost got his first taste. Nebraska was represented. The O'Shea's were represented. Canada was in the house. And there was a Todd and Tim sighting. Beers. Bob. EVERYTHING.

More pix HERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the Nate side" -- GOLD.

Dfactor said...

I'm pretty certain I've got a 90s era GBV boot with live Sensational Gravity Boy. Confirmation to come.

Dfactor