...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Football Fiesta

1 round trip flight. 36 Hours. 3 Drafts. Lots of Booze. Maybe 6 hours sleep. As I do every year the weekend before Labor Day, I fly to Chicago where I dominate 3 fantasy football leagues annually.

Whether it's the Bloated Stiffs in Joe Nardi's Windy City League, the Meat Helmets in Scott Wood Football, or Sweep the Leg Johnny in Sapfest...1 thing is for sure. My teams all rule. Yours all suck.

As far as the Meat Helmets go in the Scott Wood keeper league, partner Petey Parley & I are already loaded with a RB stable of Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown, and Willis McGahee. Not to mention we've got the best WR on the board in Chad Johnson. We still couldn't pass up on the all-world talents of Reggie Bush in the 1st round for more RB depth. Scott Wood is as good as won. And the $$ I spent on this replica Bush jersey can be a tax write-off as I believe the proceeds go towards helping some kid whose living on a raft on Bourbon Street.

As sole owner of Sweep the Leg Johnny in Sapfest, I admit it looks like a rebuilding year. However, looking around at some of the ass clowns in this league, I'm crazy enough to think I can win this thing. Picks like this one (Dean, right), Team Meat Pants selecting Ron Dayne in the 1st round, give my Sweep squad a little bit more than a puncher's chance.

But rather than bore you with how stellar my 3 squads are, the hi-lite of the weekend had to be Don Frey's festivus for-the-rest-of-us, OPRF circa 1986-89ish reunion BASH. What a blast, despite the fact that I arrived a little late, and missed a few peeps who were obviously up past their bed time (read: Sterns, Rob Quinn).

Closing the party with JP, Franklin & Devlin, while Bucky bitched and others passed out (I won't mention any names, like Mike Black, Frey). Some things never change. F$#k, I miss you guys. Tim Petty spinning records. Jo Lo talking smack, reminiscing how I used to school him on the basketball court. DAMN, I can't believe I forgot my camera. Saw a bunch of old friends I haven't hung with in years...Travis, Judd, George, Eric. So frickin cool. A slew of good memories. Oh...and I buried a bunch of Italian beef down my face (move away from Chicago and see how much you miss that stuff). GREAT times!!!

Don...you get the Super Chiefy Chief of the Week prize. What a tremendous effort!! Now, if you can only pull this off every year. Hope you had help cleaning up. Thank you!!!!!

No comments: