...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Po Co Calls

"Po Co." That's what the local "in" crowd calls it. To you common folk, it may be known as Potter County.

Remember the movie The Deer Hunter? There's a scene when DeNiro and his pals are driving up north for a weekend of deer hunting the day after their best friend's wedding (hence, the title of the movie perhaps? see...I'm quick like that). At one point, they pull over and Fredo asks DeNiro if he can borrow a pair of socks. See, it gets cold up in Po Co. DeNiro then holds up a bullet and replies with the famous line:
"See this. This...this is this. This is This."
Not quite sure where good old Bob was going with that one. But, hey. It's frickin DeNiro for chrissakes. I guess he had a point. My point....

Ok, the point was...the scenery surrounding that scene. THAT'S beautiful Potter County, which rests on the north central border of Pennsylvania. Or at least that's what it looks like. The beautiful hills & mountain ranges. Just incredibly gorgeous country. God's country, I believe it's referred to. It's hard to believe you're still in PA. And I was SO there this weekend.

So, my Super Chiefy Chief thank you this week goes out to good pal Brian Tirpak, for inviting Jess & me to his family's humble establishment in beautiful Po Co this weekend. Usually, a simple campfire + beers = good times. Now sprinkle in some kabobs, throw in some smores, perhaps a pizza pie iron or two, add a few good peeps, and you have a recipe for a highly successful weekend.

As local legend has it, Potter County is also the site of the only known case of spontaneous combustion known to mankind. Yes...somebody caught on fire once upon a time. I think (?). Don't quote me on that. But I think that would probably suck. It would at the very least ruin the day.

Good times.

No comments: