...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Len Kasper...Robert Pollard fan


getting a lot of EC material from GBVH lately, so thanks for that!

Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of baseball (if any), so I don't even know who this guy is. I'm sure some of my Chicago pals do, though...

OMC: You're a big music guy and have always turned me on to some good
CDs. Who are you listening to these days?

LK: Secret Machines, Figgs, Redwalls, Wilco, Paybacks, Dirtbombs, Hold
Steady, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Dandy Warhols, Apples in Stereo,
Tommy Keene, Bob Pollard. One of the thrills of MY ENTIRE LIFE was not
only getting to hang out backstage with Bob Pollard and Tommy Keene
before a show in Chicago last fall, but to have Pollard (formerly of
Guided By Voices) tell me that my voice is audible at the end of the
first track (Accident Texas Who) of his latest record called "Normal
Happiness." Seems when he was recording a demo of that song, he had a
baseball game on in the background, so when he recorded it for the
record, he wanted to duplicate it and it just so happens his tour
manager, Rich Turiel, is from Chicago and is a HUGE Cubs fan, so they
stuck one of my calls at the end of the song. You have to crank it up
to the max to really hear it, but it's there. Now, how cool is that?
That's definitely one of those "How did I get here?" moments.

1 comment:

Coop said...

So neat, though I have never EVER seen this guy in my life.