Even prior to the whole racist accusations and hand shake snub, I had started to grow a little tired of the Luis Suarez act. Dude is clearly our best player and possibly the only of the transfers brought into Anfield over the past year that's been worth a damn on the pitch (with the surprising exception of Craig Bellamy). Andy Carroll is pretty much a big worthless goof with a ponytail. I loved the Stewart Downing signing, but he and Jordan Henderson have done squat. I love Charlie Adam, but his production has been meh.
While Suarez is our best chance of putting the ball in the net, his constant whines and cries to the refs have been a tad embarrassing. Every time the dude goes down we see that stupid face (above), or even better, a flailing about and roll around on the pitch. He's not going to get the calls acting like a 3 year old who just had his toys taken away, and I really wish Kenny (maybe he already has?) would give him a talking to. Not sure it would help.
With all that said...this whole handshake saga has caused further embarrassment. I listened to all the excuses (cultural bias, Suarez has black grandparents, blah blah), and I even gave him the benefit of the doubt in the whole he said-she said thingy (after all, Patrice Evra is kind of a twat in his own regard). Suarez supposedly took the high road and said he would try to settle it with a hand shake. Then he pulls this crap. Inexcusable.
One of the things that first attracted me to Liverpool FC is the legendary faithfulness of their supporters. But the blind faith and conspiracy theories that have surrounded this whole ordeal has been even more ridiculous. Suarez has since apologized and says he wants this all behind him. But for me, it's a tad too late.
It could've been over with. Instead, Liverpool goes into the 5th Round of the FA Cup and a Carling Cup final with more bullshit surrounding them.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE KNOCKOUTS TODAY!!!!!!
To reach the Quarters over 2 legs...WINNERS:
- Barca. La Liga is outta reach. Full bore ahead for Pep and the boys in the CL.
- Lyon. The surprising run of APOEL comes to an end. Lyon is crazy like that.
- Benfica. Rolling in Portugal. Should be a crackin 2 legs.
- Arsenal. Even if Ibra slaps more dudes, we still like the English side here. Milan has their hands full in Italy with Juve.
- Real Madrid. Would love to post some Stunned Jose pics...not happening.
- Napoli. UPSET alert! Eff Chelsea.
- Marseille. Sad to say. My Inter is awful. Marseille have the best kits in the competition.
- Bayern Munich. In a domestic battle with Dortmund currently...still too much for Basel here.