...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Deerhoof at the Andy Warhol

Deerhoof
We'd never been to the Andy Warhol Museum before to see a live band, so this was a completely new experience for us. A rather sweet one as well, as there was probably only 100 there, which seems like an insanely small crowd. It's Deerhoof!!!! I guess that's not great for the band, but for the sole purpose of our viewing pleasure it was. Perhaps all the hipsters went to see Frank Black, who was also playing that night, down the street at Mr. Small's. No offense to Mr. Pixie, but when you get a chance to see a band like Deerhoof at a small venue in the Burgh...you go. You go. You go. You go.

I've heard Deerhoof described as a "pop / noise" band, and the rap I get from the unfortunate ones who don't 'get' Deerhoof, is that it's too much of the latter. I'd venture to say that if you saw them live, you may 'get' it. I hate to say that you need to see them live, because it almost sounds like a diss to their recordings (Go get The Runners Four. Do it. Now). The music may be a little tough to classify...too difficult to fit neatly into one section of the rock box. But the fact is...they f#%king RAWK!

Satomi's dreamy vocals and animated stage presence backed by Saunier's bombastic drumming and John Dieterich on guitar...once it really hits you, it becomes somewhat addicting. I'm no music critic, so I'll stop right there. But this is one band you don't wanna miss.

Incredibly nice and personal chaps as well, Greg & John. I'm sure Satomi is a sweetheart as well, but unfortunately we didn't get to see her afterwards.

Deerhoof drummer Greg Saunier reacts (left) after the show when I tell him he's my "2nd" favorite drummer. Is that offensive in any way? Well...I guess that would depend on the sample size, but he seemed appreciative. And anyway...if I would've said "favorite," that probably would've sounded like bullshit. "2nd favorite" probably lends the comment a little more creedence. Who knows. I don't think he was offended.


And I wasn't shittin. Greg's the man, and I wouldn't place him 2nd to anyone in terms of pure energy. You can probably tell by my goofy awe-struck expression above that I'm a fan. And if it wasn't for my notoriously aching bad back, I'd emmulate his style a litte more when I air drum at home. I'd probably need to stack a 2nd milk crate for support, however :)

Btw...how kick ass is this drum kit? I'm voting Greg as President of the Less-is-More Contingent. A snare, kick drum, a couple of cymbals, and a milk crate. And a plethora of sticks (the way he wails away, he needs 'em).

I actually grabbed this tune on video at the show, but just like the do-it-myself one following it, and typical of some of my other video...it's not that great. So, courtesy of someone called 'musicpenguin' from You Tube, here's "Flower," from the Apple O' record. It's a great visual representation of Deerhoof, especially of Greg's crazed style.


This one goes out to my good pal Dennis, because I know he luvs this song. The Warhol's pretty dark, and I'm not all that close, so enough of the lame excuses and here's the damn video already:


And finally, for the mp3 loving crowd, here's one from the Kill Rock Stars sample section. Go on over there and make a purchase or two. The Runners Four album, as well as the Green Cosmos EP, both from 2005 are very nice places to start, maybe work backwards from there. This one's from The Runners Four (heads up...my ezarchive thingy is still f'd up, hence why most of the mp3 thingies on Empties Crushed haven't worked...this one you can download straight from KRS by double clicking below):

Deerhoof - Wrong Time Capsule

OH! And big kudos to opening act, Fog, lead by the multi-talented Andy Broder. Appears they're doing a set of dates with Deerhoof as well as Magnolia Electric Co. If you get a chance, definitely check these guys out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BUNNY! BUNNY! BUNNY! BUNNY! BUNNY! BUNNY! BUNNY! (Insert interpretive dance here)