...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Remain Calm. All is Well.

So the beloved Black & Gold took a hit Sunday. It was a loss that I'd penciled in as a win. The good news...when you look back at the schedule, some of those L's that I'd penciled now look like potential W's. The supposed tough games now look easier...

Cincinnati stinks. Baltimore stinks. The Jets stink. Denver kind of stinks.

No doubt Arizona was a setback, and there are some concerns, but as I look around the AFC, I don't see anyone better (other than Indy and New England). So I'm sticking by my 12-4 pre-season prediction, which will probably be a #3 seed the way NE & Indy are playing. Here's what worries me / doesn't worry me:

Not worried:

* Big Ben. I'm on record as thinking he's got some personality flaws (putting it kindly). But he's my QB, and I've gotta say he's playing better than last year. I've never doubted Ben's talent, only his willingness to hit the film room, and maximize his physical talent by mastering the mental part.

* The D. We gave up 2 Teeds with Troy on the bench. Prior to his exit, Leinart & Warner couldn't do crap. Per Tomlin's press conference today, he's fine...not even listed on the injury report. With Troy on the field, we are one of the finest D's in the NFL. Also OK per Tomlin, perhaps the 2nd MVP on the DEF...Casey Hampton.

* Tomlin. While this will be the biggest game in his early tenure, you've gotta love the down-to-earth calmness. Mike's not worried. So I'm not worried. A loss was bound to happen. It was a road game, and it's the NFL (as opposed to Division I Football). It is what it is (I hate that saying).


* Kicking game. Looks like drafting a punter in the 4th round was a genius move. Dan Sepulveda is a stud, and may have well been our most valuable player Sunday. Skippy is solid as well.

* Hines Ward. He's day-to-day, and should be back this week. He'll help, yet I don't think his injury was one of the main reasons we lost. Santonio Holmes is the shiznit, yo.

* Willie. See OL below.

* The Division is as good as ours. Book it.

Kinda worried:

* OL. Worst game by far for the O-Line...which was the demise of the offense Sunday. Hopefully, we can chalk this up to the Whisenhunt / Grimm factor on the opposing sidelines. Hopefully. Bottom line...they've gotta be better.

* McFadden. If it wasn't for Ike's bloated contract and Deshea being a veteran, I firmly believe #20 would be a starter. After all, he's the best CB on the team. Now he's out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain. Yes...this has me worried. Get well soon, B Mc.

* Kick coverage. Another lapse in coverage...and it swung the momentum of the game. This can't happen.

* Penalties. Way too many Sunday, most at crucial times. While I like the laid back approach from Tomlin, I hope he'll be able to lay down the law when necessary. Discipline on the road is crucial.

* While we'll still win the division, and perhaps a 1st round playoff game...the AFC Semi-Final at either New England or Indy will be a bitch.

With all that said, we come back home Sunday against another patsy NFC team...the Seahawks and their whining walrus-looking coach Mike Holmgren. Winner.

Elsewhere in football...

Champions League action is back this week kids!! Set the DVR's. ESPN2 and ESPN Classic will be showing matches Tuesday & Wednesday - 2:30pm & 5:00pm. Barcelona / Stuttgart, today at 5:00.

Now that the Dolphins lost a game that Joey Porter guaranteed they'd win, what happens now? By the way...no fault of Joey's on Sunday. He had 4 tackles.

Pretty cool story about my guy, # 8 Stevie G...

Apparently, Gerrard was driving around Liverpool the other day in his Bentley, and he accidentally hit some kid with his car. Gerrard, obviously worried, attended to the 10-year old boy until the ambulance came. It turns out...the kid is a Manchester United fan!! After Gerrard found this out, he called Wayne Rooney, and got a pair of autographed boots to give to him n the hospital. The boy's grandfather said about Gerrard...

"He's a nice bloke very considerate, even if he is a Red."

No comments: