Day 1 notes:
- South Africa was crazy enough to win that game. Alas, a deserved draw for Mexico. A lot of people confused on that Mexico non-goal for offsides, including the ESPN announcers. Upon further review, it was. RULE CHECK HERE. It's actually rather simple.
- Thierry Henry becomes the 1st French player to play in 4 World Cups. He then cries "hand ball" and the Irish people laugh at him. We did, too.
- Quote of the day: "Patrice Evra is one of 25 or 26 siblings, depending on what story you believe. The father had a couple of divorces, and didn't watch much TV."
- Uruguay defends the final 15 minutes with 10 men, much like they defended for the first 75 minutes, but with more desperation. France sucks and lacks passion. Group A is all notched and all 4 teams could advance.
- My boy Diego Forlan missed a golden opportunity to take the 3 points.
- I'm not an England fan, nor a U.S. fan. I love Gerrard and can't stand Donovan, but don't have a rooting interest in the U.S. match...at least until I place my wager. But personally, I think the "The combustible Wayne Rooney" theory that's being used as a crutch for U.S. supporters is pretty desperate.