...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

...and we're the Hold Steady

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we partied.

Little late on this...my bad. Jess, Tirpak & I got to check out The Hold Steady last week. What a show!!!! Pure rock fun bliss at the Rex on a Monday.

Close to sold-out (?) All Ages show with maybe 5% under 21 and a bar area that could fit only 10% of the 95% over 21 crowd...maybe not so much bliss. (for the record, I don't mind all ages shows provided they give the drinkers enough room to spend their $$. and I luv the Rex, otherwise). But that's what you get if you wanna rawk in the Burgh on a Monday when a rare good act comes to town.

Anyway...the Hold Steady kicked ass again. When the band is actually having as much fun as you are...you know you're in a good place. These guys have f#$kin delivered every time I've seen 'em. Craig Finn is about as good as it gets for on-stage genuine energy and antics. It's one of those shows where your jaw gets sore from the constant smile. Best show I've seen in Pitt since...well...Deerhoof last October-ish.

Anyway, the Rex seems to fret upon cameras, so I apologize for the lack of pics. The few we did get, sucked. So here's some video, "Knuckles," from The Hold Steady Almost Killed Me...


End of show antics during "Killer Parties": the band basically invites the 1st 2 rows on stage for the finale. Craziness ensues. This one's for Larry, some dude I've probably seen at about 1/2 dozen shows around the city...he actually gets to play Finn's guitar...good times...


And I only wish I was this close..."Massive Nights" off of last year's Boys and Girls in America

the above comes courtesy of TeenageFBI from You Tube. Another Pittsburgher (I assume) who I've probably bumped into and spilt beer on at other shows. I'll go out on another limb and say he's a fellow GBV enthusiast, so points for that.

If you wanna get into some Hold Steady, go here and buy some stuff. I'd recommend Separation Sunday, 1st. Not that Boys and Girls isn't good, it's top notch...just maybe not as strong from top to bottom...imho. Others will probably disagree. Screw it...just get 'em both. Here's one from Separation Sunday:

(left click to play; right click to download)
The Hold Steady - Stevie Nix

Also be sure to check out the Hold Steady homepage and their myspace page for more downloads and goodies.

Oh...and speaking of shows in Pittsburgh, I guess Times New Viking played up at CMU this weekend. Funny when I find out about shows in Pittsburgh from someone living in Canada :)

2 comments:

Kono said...

Hey Gary thanks again for the video and your a futbol fan to boot. I watched El Classico, in fact i dvr'd it so i could stop feed my son and still feel like it was live. Ray Hudson is the greatest announcer of all time, OHHH a majestic display of skill, magic by the little Argentine.

gary said...

that's fantastic!! we actually just watched that match (for the 4th time) Sunday night. Hudson's the essence of passion...it's infectious. I think Jess sometimes gets a little annoyed at my non-stop sat / sun morning futbol viewing, but when she hears Hudson, she pulls up a chair.

Orgasmic!! A goal of the highest quality. Get off yer sofa and applaud the buck-toothed Brazilian!

:)