...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

DAMMIT!!!!

Racking my cranium over this Statistical Thinking final, I just wasted a fricking hour on question #1 (an inference about the comparison of 2 populations) before I realized that my sample size (n) calls for a t-test...not a f#*&in z-test!!! So now, not only is my critical value off (at a confidence level of .05) because of that whole "degrees of freedom" thingy, but I need to come up with a pooled estimator of the polulation variance....BEFORE I figure out the point estimator. Thankfully, I've got the problem set up correctly and nothing changes with the null or alternative hypothesis...it is still a two tail test. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Even better, with both sample sizes at 20, I completely further waste my time by using the pooled estimator of population variance formula, when I could have just added the 2 variances together and averaged them. I'm so STOOOOPID!!!

No problem, it's only the nicest day of the year...on a weekend.

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

No comments: