...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Decemberists in Chicago

So, it's definitely been almost a year since we've started Empties Crushed, and this is my absolute FIRST entry ever. Oops. Been accused of neglect, but that's not what's important. Let us talk about the Decemberists in Chicago...

December in Chicago isn't the most pleasant of climes, though I'll tell you...the Decemberists in Chicago starkly contrasts the latter. Wow. In a heedy and boozy moment I bought tickets to The Decemberists Riviera show on April 19, 2007, not even considering the two sick days I'd have to take in order to be there. It was more like this, "...but who cares, it's the Decemberists!!!"

When I first saw the Decemberists live, it was probably around 2004 at The Metro in Chicago. A phenomenal
show. And at that, I was certainly sold. The ability to entertain as well as dance, sing, and harmonize was The Decemberists's forte, though I'll tell ya', Colin Meloy's lyrics were unstoppable, too (...and cute, in a nerdy way).

I know I sound like a sappy English buff when I pour over the lyrics of one, Colin Meloy, though I've never heard
anything quite so melodic, eerie, sweet, and silly all wrapped into one (ballad).

My sis, Em, and I travelled to Chicago on two weeks notice to what was my fourth Decemberists venture; and Emily's first. I'd just seen the quintuplet of musical funsies in Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo (long story) and was so overcome, I wanted to see them again as soon as was humanly possible.

After a Coach bus trip--yeah, Megabus.com! (just watched An Inconvenient Truth), Em and I found ourselves in the heart of Wicker Park awaiting the show, and thrift shopping in the meantime (thanks Jen!!!), but really, Colin and his crew were to be the highlight of the three day tour.

Thankfully, after some careful consideration, since there was absolutely no indication of an opening band, Em and I ran to the Riviera from a cool dive called the Green Mill accross the way. Might I add, just in time to make the opening of The Wintry Clan.

The band opened with many of their Crane Wife hits, which I've played out on my "tour" to Butler and back daily, but the kicker was the band's addition of July, July! (and old fave), the finale, Sons and Daughters
(had been waiting to hear this one since Buffalo), and their the encore which included the must...Mariner's Revenge.

The diverse sounds that range amidst the tunes July, July! (a poppy fun tune--which I happen to adore based on my day of origin and the storming of the Bastille), Sons and Daughters (a Revolutionary War song with a sort of
death and melancholy undertone) and The Mariner that wreaks of revenge and angst ...who could argue the band's uncanny ability to traverse the human condition--more-or-less-the ambivalence of mankind. More negative and sad, sometimes but great, nonetheless.

Colin Meloy's voice can't be touched in any realm, so far as I know--some may comment on its nasally bellow, though it's so sincere, it's scary.

This is a video clip from Messiah College in rural PA, not far from the place of my rearing...Colin's comments remind me of the same thoughts I had as I attended Grove City College in 2000. Agh! Go Colin! Yeah, July!

No comments: