...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Pitchfork Looms

Lots of exciting stuff coming up here shortly. Preakness next week at Pimplico, a bunch of local shows coming, the very 1st Asshat will be handed out in the next day or so, and I'll have my much anticipated Top 10 Films of 2006 list posted here within the next week or so (ok, maybe just 1 person is anticipating this...don't get yer panties in a bunch, I'm working on it). But what I'm reaaaaally pumpt about...heading back to Chicago for another Pitchfork Fest.

Nothing says rawk like 3 days of long pee lines, getting bloated on beer and festival food, and having the occasional frisbee land in your lap like Pitchfork Fest. The music and friendly camaraderie with some good friends makes the sweaty man-boobs and Sunday morning swamp ass all the well worth it.

Friday night is key (I don't believe there was a Friday last year?): Sonic Youth is playing their entire Daydream Nation album, which I imagine will be the headliner. Another blast from the past: Slint will be reunited once again to play 1991's Spiderland, perhaps one of the more under appreciated albums of the past 20 years. Oh...and GZA (pronounced "gizza" for you less-than-hipsters) from the Wu-Tang Clan will be performing his entire record, Liquid Swords. I confess I'm not the biggest Wu-Tang connoisseur, but I'm game for this as well.

Anyway...to celebrate the upcoming festivus, I'm gonna start throwing a bunch of Pitchfork stuff up here within the next few months. Some old, some new, some stuff you've probably heard before...anything 6 degrees of Pitchfork Fest.


Yesterday, I was told (by a fellow fan, thanx Ned) that Stephen Malkmus will be playing solo...as in the only guy on stage...acoustic style?!?!? WTF is with that? I hope not, but if that is indeed the case, I'll be a little disappointed. I've already accepted the fact that I'll never hear any Pavement material live again (although the same person told me he has played Pavement stuff...I dunno), but I'd prefer a little more rrrrrr in my rawk from Steve.

So, to embark on this little journey, here's some early Pavement. The first track was one of those that really made me gaga for Pavement and the early lo-fi stuff, "Box Elder" from Westing (by musket and sextant). BTW, this is probably the last record I'd recommend to someone interested in hearing some Pavement (like, is there such a person who hasn't yet?) The second track, in honor of summer, the 7" Inch version of "Summer Babe." I call Jess my "summer babe," but she gets offended as if she's not my "every-season babe." Women.

(left click to play; right click to download)
Pavement - Box Elder

Pavement - Summer Babe (7" version)


For more info, updates, and fun little tidbits, make sure to check the Pitchfork Site. Make sure to check out the little "video/photo" page they've got set up from the 2006 show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck pavement