...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Futbol (Football) Weekend


HUGE weekend in footie this weekend, but a few thoughts on last week 1st...

I can't stand T.O., but the NFL fining him for his little videotaping celebration was a tad ridiculous. *****

Break Up The Browns!! JHC...does this mean we were all wrong on Derek Anderson, Romeo Crennel, and Cleveland last week? Or most people were wrong on Cincinnati as a viable Superbowl candidate? *****

Champions League action is back. SO pumpt for Tuesday and Wednesday football.*****

Well...the next 48 hours is all about the footie, starting w/ Liverpool v. Birmingham at 10:00am Saturday morn...eggs, bangers, ham, and mash with a Newcastle chaser at Piper's. By the time I order an encore, it should be 2-Nil.

Oh, yeah...you'll need Setanta Sports to watch Liverpool tomorrow. Unbelievable...we were on top of the table for a lone week, and got dissed by Fox Soccer and Setanta. Instead of the dazzling Nil-Nil draw between the Reds and Portsmouth last Saturday, Setanta aired the Rugby World Cup. Great.

Making matters worse for my side, Arsenal and Man U were both involved in potential 1-point affairs, but both pulled out 3 late in their respective games. So we fall to 2nd place for the time being. Well, at least Chelsea kept pace.

Speaking of Chelsea, the Special One is out. I'll take him at Inter right about now. But dude needs to seriously smile for once in his life.

Admittedly, my Nerazzuri kinda suck right now. After only 1 Matchday, Internazionale is already in must win mode in the Champions League. Inter once again this weekend, will not be on FSC. Instead, we get Milan / Parma on Saturday at 2:30 (I'll watch the 1st half, I guess). But on Sunday...we need to set the DVR for Juventus v. AS Roma, 9:30am on FSC. Easily, the biggest clash of two titans in the early part of this year's Serie A. After Juve's upset loss to Udinese last w/e, I'll be pulling for them to knock off Roma from the top.

Another one of my teams sucking right now...Barcelona. Maybe I'll take Jose there, as well. All I know is, with the talent Rijkaard has, he better get these boys going...NOW. As in Saturday afternoon...on GOLTV, Barca vs. Sevilla, 4:00pm. With only 5 points in 3 games, and the new-look Real Madrid already clicking, and Sevilla staring down from above them, tomorrow's game is huge. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I'll need to DVR this one as well...

b/c at 3:30 Saturday on ABC, we throw on Joe Pa and my Nittany Lions...going into the Big House, where we are gonna peel back some Wolverine boobie!!! That's right, after it's all said and done tomorrow, the media will probably look back at this game as a ho-hum win for Joe Pa with Michigan being all 1-3 and stuff. But this game is EVERYTHING for Penn St. This game will define our season. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

blog plug insertion here...if you're a PSU fan, gotta bookmark the following here blog: There Is No Name On My Jersey:

http://gloryofoldstate.blogspot.com/

good stuff.

Other games of interest on Saturday, which will need to be DVR'd and watched later Saturday eve, maybe with din din and some vino:

9:30 am, GOLTV, Bundesliga, Bremen vs. Stuttgart

Noon, FSC, Premier, Fulham vs. Man City

I don't think I'm gonna be able to fit in the England / USA Women's World Cup match at 8:00am on ESPN. I've watched some Women's action the past week or so before work, and while it may be more exciting than meaningless regular season baseball, there's only so much time in a day. Sleep's gotta get some dibs.


I know there's probably a logical reason for all I know, but why in the world is the Women's WC not played in the summer?? I thought it always had been. Just seems to be too much going on in the Fall, with European soccer leagues underway, the Champions League and UEFA Cup just starting...not to mention the NFL and NCAA (which I'm sure they care less about). I just think I'd watch more of this if the calendar weren't so bombarded already.

Then...SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!! (said in Monster Truck guy voice). The big day. My beloved Black & Gold get to smack around their 1st of 3 consecutive NFC doormats in San Fran (Arizona and Seattle are next). Yeah...so San Fran is 2-0. Sunday won't be close. Lay it.

Oh, and if you're going to the game Sunday...I hope you're not sitting lower level in the end zone, where Tony Siragusa will be grazing for Fox, and may get in your line of view. He's the big, meaningless, without a purpose guy who a small minority find to be amusing.

Then, after a beautiful long day of tailgating, it'll be time to watch some of that DVR in action, starting with:

Man Utd vs. Chelsea (on FSC at 11:00am). Jess will root for her little Ronaldo and Rooney lads. I'll be rooting for a draw. Both the Mancs and the Blues will go to 12 points in 7 games. After beating Birmingham Saturday, Liverpool will have 14 in 6 games. And even though Arsenal will still be ahead after beating Derby, I'll take it. For now.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC OWLS RULE!

No comments: