...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Yo La Tengo, other Pittsburgh shows

We've had a lot of football on the brain here the past month (if you couldn't tell), so the tuneage has been a little neglected lately. Unfortunately, we've missed a couple shows in the past month, including the Meat Puppets at Mr. Small's and the Mountain Goats at the Rex Theatre (last night dammit!). But I've vouched to give the remote control a rest, and get back out on the streets in October.

Here's a few around town that we may / may not be checking out...

Yo La Tengo - Tuesday, October 9th, TWO (!!) shows (8 & 10pm) - Warhol. HELL YEAH!!!
This should be fun, especially within the intimate confines of the Warhol. And you better hurry, kids. Word on the streets...the 8:00pm-er is already sold out.

Here's some YLT...

(left click to play; right click to download)
:: Yo La Tengo - Little Eyes ::
:: Yo La Tengo - Lewis ::


AMOEBA KNIEVEL, with Satanic Bat, and Dookie Houser Emcee - TONIGHT - Bloomfield Bridge Tavern - 4412 liberty ave. Local Tommy Amoeba never disappoints. Satanic Bat is described as "over-the-top stoner doom rawk" and Dookie Houser as "goofy white sex rap." Good times. THREE bucks cheap.

Minus the Bear - THIS Saturday, Sept. 29th - Diesel. I've never gotten into Minus the Bear. Unless someone can convince me, I may pass on this one. Check 'em out on MySpace.

The Mekons - THIS Sunday, Sept. 30th - New Hazlett Theatre. It's Sunday, and the Beloved play on the West Coast. Translation - I'm out.

Matt Pond PA - Tuesday, October 2nd - Diesel. The "PA" is supposed to stand for Pennsylvania, so props to Matt for this inclusion in the name. I guess. Ok...I've got nothing going on Tuesday. I'll go. I'll go. I'll go. Maybe. We'll see. Kinda cool website, with tunes.

Andrew Bird - Tuesday, October 2nd - Carnegie Music Hall. Actually, this is probably the show to go to on this night. Hear some Andrew Bird on MySpace.

VHS or Beta - Sunday, October 7th - Carnegie Mellon. This might be fun. But, see the same problem with the Mekons show.

Grizzly Bear and Beach House - Friday, October 12th - Warhol. Sold Out. Guess I won't be attending this one. Pretty melancholy stuff, but I kinda liked both of these acts at Pitchfork.

The Pipettes - Saturday, October 13th - Diesel. The question is: Would I go to this show, and admit it to my homies? See video below...





Wilco - Friday, October 19th - A.J. Palumbo. It's not that I don't like Wilco...I do. But I'm not sure I'd spend $90 big ones on admission alone (for 2, plus crazy fees). Been there, done that...at smaller venues and cheaper prices. In this here day of picking and choosing...I'm passing.

The Weakerthans - Saturday, October 27th - Mr. Small's. I think I'd like to see this one, but we've got previous engagements. Hear some Weakerthans on their MySpace page.

Jennifer O'Connor - Wednesday, October 31st - Club Cafe. It's a Wednesday. And we like Wednesdays. And we like Jennifer O'Connor...and Club Cafe. Besides, there could be worse things to do on this night...like passing out candy to little kids. Listen to some Jen O'Connor on MySpace here.


The Fiery Furnaces - Friday, November 2nd - Mr. Small's. I'm starting to tire of good ole Mr. Small's. It's WAY too jam packed, and I'm tired of feeling like a sardine drinking my beer with alligator arms while I stand behind some tall dude. On a weekend night, it's usually the "thing to do" in Pittsburgh, and there always seems to be a larger contingent of hipsters, most of whom don't seem to care about the act on stage (I'm reminded of recent TV on the Radio and Built to Spill). That said...I'm going to this one.

The Decemberists - Tuesday, November 13th - Carnegie Music Hall. For anyone who knows Jess, you know we'll be at this one, as well. Tickets go on sale Friday, September 28th...which is TODAY! SHIT...I've gotta run...I'll be back in a moment...hold that thought...

...welp...can't find tickets or even a listing anywhere. Cancelled? Sold Out? Who knows. Moving on...

My Brightest Diamond - Wedensday, November 14th - Warhol. Saw her open for the Decemberists in Buffalo. Lovely, lovely voice.


They Might Be Giants - Thursday, November 15th - Mr. Small's. A "14 and over show." So thank you for that. Not sure I'd go if 13 year-olds were permitted to attend. Go check out the TMBG Venue Songs here (then click "Pittsbugh").

Peter Bjorn and John - Monday, December 3rd - Mr. Small's. If the rest of the songs are as catchy as that damn "Young Folks" tune, count me in. Why not. Mondays typically suck, so this could liven it up a bit.

No comments: