...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

My Quasi Pompous Ode to 1989 (part 4 of 4)

Here it is, kids. The moment all 5 of you have been waiting for. The jaw dropping, show stopping conclusion to this stupid little list we started back on Monday. I'm tired of recapping, so if you'd like to see #20 - #6, see below or click HERE for the EC home page.

#5 - The Stone Roses: "I Wanna Be Adored"

From their much acclaimed debut and self-titled album, The Stone Roses. Another in the long line of great bands who hailed from Manchester during this time period.



Go HERE for a better video (embedding was disabled)

#4 - Fugazi: "Waiting Room"

I AM A PATIENT BOY!!!!! Hell. Yes. If you watch one video of these 20 tunes, make it this one...




#3 - The Jesus & Mary Chain: "Head On"


The Pixies would later cover this on their 1991 Trompe le Monde record, but we prefer these Scottish shoegazers' version better.

"And the way I feel tonight...I could die and I wouldn't mind"



#2 - The Pixies: "Debaser"

Third greatest band of all-time, imho. Real tough to choose one track off the Doolittle album, as it was by far my favorite record of the year. "Here Comes Your Man" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven" were probably the more popular tunes. Also under consideration were "La La Love You", "Wave of Mutilation", "Hey", and "Gouge Away". If it wasn't for the self-imposed "one song per group" thingy, more from this album would've made the Essential 20. So we choose the opening track.

The lyrics from "Debaser" are supposedly referring to a 1920's French film called Un chien andalou. Go HERE for the trailer. "Slicing up eyeballs" is apparently a shot in the short 15 minute film. Cool.

"Girly so groovy!!!"




#1 - Guided By Voices: "Navigating Flood Regions"




No brainer. From the greatest band ever. From Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia. Only 500 were originally pressed, so if you have one of these originals in your collection, you are a lucky person. Also under consideration from this record was "Liar's Tale", but this track is probably one of my all-time favorite GBV tunes. OK, I'll say it...Top 10, easy.

Guilty admission: For the longest time, I always thought the lyric was "The shit floats but it won't float away." But anyone who knows me, knows I have a habit of botching lyrics. Straight from gbvdb.com, here's the actual lyrics for you to sing along, from the greatest songwriter to ever grace the planet....

Spy ??shouting?? the crew let's string him up
Wise up to the captain where's my coffee cup
And it's been an adventurous day
The ship floats but it won't float away
Let's us stay
Don your favorite costume here we go
Belt a song if you're not real long and slow
And you doing a wonderful job
Shaping up with a competent mob
It's your job
It's as long as wide and just beginning
Been around for aeons just like me
Grab your money and let's go for all the winnings
Cast your soul into the jagged sea
It's the number on your head
Now you're dead
Stuff you down the barrel of a cannon
Let you see the world as something to see
Take you to the corners of the playground
Let you watch the traffic through the trees
It's the number on your head
Now you're dead
And we run as the war trumpet blows
And the judge with the list of no-shows


- Robert Pollard, Needmore Songs

Turn up your speakers. Guide your mouse over the image below. Play. Rawk. Enjoy.








Thought I could find some video footage from their 2004 Electrifying Conclusion doing "Navigating Flood Regions", but I failed. Since I love yinz so much, here's a bonus track, also from Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia..."Chief Barrel Belly":

7 comments:

gbvh said...

did you (italics)really(end italics) just put the stone poses within earshot of the GBVs?

say it ain't so...

gary said...

did you guess #1?!?!?!

cmon!! what's wrong with the Stone Roses?? are you calling me a ponce? :)

gbvh said...

there is only one roses, and that's guns.

ponce ... poof ... you name it.

Kono said...

Quite an excellent list G-man, the top 5 are in a nutshell brilliant, even if i am a nonce or ponce for loving the Stone Roses, as for record labels i do love Factory but my all time favorite is most likely Merge with Matador and SST a close second.

gary said...

thanks Kono!!!!

i think Merge may have been born in 1989 as well...but don't quote me.

as for me...i am half ponce, on my mother's side :) and proud of it!!

gbvh said...

merge came and went with FaCE, NH, SGD and CTCCOL.

just sayin . . .

Jables said...

No 13 Baby fuckin KILLS Debaser. Not sayin...just sayin.