...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Copa America: Quarterfinals, TFC on FSC

So for as exciting as the 1st Round of Copa America was with 24 Goals in 6 games, the 3rd Round kinda sucked arse. 7 Goals in the entire last round won't win over many new fans. And my "Match Not To Miss" Argentina / Paraguay equally sucked as neither team seemed to care. Oh, well...my bad. Intensity should pick up though...Knockout Stage starts today kids!!

Saturday's match-ups:

Venezuela vs. Uruguay

Brasil vs. Chile

Sunday's match-ups:

Mexico vs. Paraguay

Argentina vs. Peru

My crazy-silly not-so-much predictions sure to go wrong:

Home country Venezuela moves on, winning Group A. And they get, in my opinion, a pretty favorable match-up against Uruguay. The two teams tied Nil-Nil in the group stage, and Uruguay is struggling to find the back of the net (sounds like a certain red-white-and-blue). Despite advancing, they've scored only 1 GOAL IN 3 GAMES!! I'm taking Venezuela here, in what would probably be considered an upset. They'll get to the semi's and get knocked out by....

Brasil. Robinho is absolutely on fire, and could be considered the MVP of the tourney so far. Appears chemistry problems are simmering down, and they should easily handle Chile, who they've already beat 3-Nil. I'll take Brasil to move past Chile and then Venezuela...setting up the Championship that everyone wants to see, against....

Argentina. Hernan Crespo is officially out for the rest of the competition. That's okay (rest up, buddy...we need you at full strength this fall in Italy), Carlos Tevez only logged about 20 minutes in the 1st 2 rounds, so he'll be fresh and ready to go. Beating Paraguay Thursday will prove to be beneficial, as they'll easily handle Peru, and move on to set up the rematch against...

Paraguay. That's right...another upset (I guess). I'll take Paraguay to put an end to this little run Mexico's been on. Then they'll bow out to Argentina.

Argentina vs. Brasil in the Championship, July 15th. I'll have to set the DVR for this one since I'll be at Pitchfork. Argentina wins.

*************************************************************

I FINALLY get to see my beloved Toronto FC tonight....Fox Soccer Channel, 8:30 EST vs. Chicago. Need a win, boys!!!

No comments: