...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sonic Youth at Pitchfork


Friday: kinda tough to recover from blowout Thursday (see Tuesday's post), but nothing a Depth Charge, some Rehab, and a few Aleve couldn't handle.

Jess wins us V.I.P. passes, thanks to Boost Mobile. We'll probably get bombarded with spam now, but the free beers and burritos made it worth it (Yes...FREE beers!!!). Plus we got a lovely side view of the stage for Sonic Youth (see vid & pics below).

Slint started the "Don't Look Back" thingy off with the '91 classic Spiderland. From what I could tell, reactions from the crowd were kinda mixed, falling within these 3 sentiments:
A) This kicks ass
B) This blows
C) I loved the album, but it's just not doing it for me live

Put me in the 'C' group. I'll take Slint's advice: "This record was made to be listened to on vinyl." Or something like that.


Learning is fun: GZA is pronounced "jizza" with a "jay" not a "gi" sound. I think. Anyway...GZA was probably the best of the 3 Hip Hop acts of the weekend (the others being Clipse on Saturday and De La Soul on Sunday). For what that's worth.

And the best act of the weekend didn't disappoint: Sonic Youth ripped through Daydream Nation. When"Teenage Riot" started, I actually got goose pumps. After finishing up the album (sans the 14 minute "Trilogy" at the end"), Mark Ibold (ex-Pavement) came out and finished up an encore on bass, allowing Kim to do her little dance thing. You know the dance I'm talkin about...we LUV the Kim dance. Next time we meet, ask me...I'll do the imitation. Maybe not.

Anyway...Kim Gordon is the epitome of Rock. And Sonic Youth as a band continues to woo me every time we see them. They've been chalked up under the "do not miss" shows for a long time now, and there's no signs of them slowing down.

Here's song #4, "'Cross the Breeze", fresh from our little side stage nook. Sorry, it gets cut off b/c the song is so long, but the partial rocks:



For some more pictures of Sonic Youth...go HERE. And Jess is gonna kill me, but for some crazy reason, I can't find the close-up of Thurston that she took...ANYWHERE!?!?!?!? DAMN!!!

No comments: