...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Tiger Woods Rips Hockey


"I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore."
My first reaction was anger, but then I imagined Tiger on skates...getting smashed into the boards by Brooks Orpik. Tiger then slowly peels himself off the ice...minus that fake, arrogant, pompous smile of his. While searching for his teeth, his model wife Elin Nordegren runs off with Sidney Crosby. Watching it all unfold from the bench, Jarkko Ruutu does a Tiger-like fist pump.

Let us also remember that most hockey players play golf...during their leisure time.

Not ripping golf, mind you. There's definitely a great deal of skill involved, at least for the non-hacks. And golf's a fun activity for some. Maybe when I retire at 65, I'll pick up some clubs for a little exercise. But that's not the point...

Tiger's comments, and other morons who don't get hockey...no longer bother me. "More popular" does not equal "better." I know Guided By Voices is a much greater band than, say, a cookie cutter like 3 Doors Down. I know Nickelback blows. I don't need validation from the mass majority to know that.

I'm just not on board with the popular opinion that hockey needs to "sell itself" to more people. I understand with more fans brings more $$. But at what point do you sell out the true hockey fans for the purpose of bringing new ones aboard. If hockey fails in the South...fine. I'm tired of seeing half empty arenas in Florida or Atlanta. Bring it back up North, or back to Canada...where the fans are. Quit trying to shove it down people's throats. Trying to sell a sport in a market where people like watching cars race in circles may be counter-productive .

So I no longer care if hockey remains a "niche" sport. If some dork down the street is too clueless to get it, I don't care. I don't need to see the NHL playoffs on ESPN to realize their greatness. I won't get any more joy out of hockey if the sport becomes more popular. If anything, it points out a sad part about our society...we're (not me) a bunch of followers. Tell us what to listen to, and we'll listen to it. If it's on ESPN, it must be great. When Tiger talks, we must listen (just don't take a picture in the middle of his back swing).

Anyways...after the Pens win the Stanley Cup Saturday night, I'm sure we'll party all night, and I'll be exhausted all day Sunday. No problem...I can throw on some golf on TV and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hockey Blows??????? Atleast you can cheer at a hockey game and get wasted. Like to see him say that to Chara's face