...randomness surrounding Guided by Voices, Robert Pollard, and other great indie rock bands; a quasi objective look at "my" sporting teams; the random horror film; plus other crap as we see fit...all with a Pittsburgh based feel.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Champions League 2nd Legs

2nd legs start up today, and the match everyone will be eying is Arsenal taking on my Barcelona back at the Camp Nou.  Arsenal made this return leg very interesting with their shocking come from behind 2-1 win.  Getting the W was a must...and puts them in much better shape to advance than last year's home draw did.

Sounds like Spaniard Cesc Fabregas will be back in the starting 11 for the Gunners.  That'll help.  But the absence of Van Persie (doubtful) and Walcott will not.  My heart says Barca gets it done today.  My money says I'm abstaining from the game's action.  Besides...having laid the 4-1 odds for Barca to advance will have me sweating enough in my Xavi jersey.  I may even break out the old Deco shorts for this one and sport the entire home kit :)

The Over 3 at a whopping -155 says the experts call for a lot of goals.  I concur.  Not enough to play it, but I concur.  Without center backs Pique and Puyol on Barca's back line...I'm worried even more.


In the "other" match of the day, with Shakhtar Donetsk leading 3-2 against Roma and heading back home, I'm gonna call the Over 2.5.  Roma needs to open it up and score (at least 2 goals to advance).  This will most likely make their suspect defense even more suspect.  Shakhtar playmaker Fernandinho will return, and they will miss defender Olexandr Kucher...both good factors for the Over.  While Roma will be without the suspended Jeremy Menez (lazy), Italian striker Marco Borriello should return to his starter's role.  And with 4 G's in 7 GP's...that's a good thing.  And if all of the above doesn't spell Over...there is the John Arne-Riise factor, who is always good for at least one OG.

I've already got Shaktar to advance, so I'm gonna abstain on the side.

2-5 heading in, but today turns it all around.

No comments: